Judge AW Center Hosted 5th Annual Lecture with MD University Presidents and Education-Focused Organizations
BREAKING: JAWC and Bowie State Partners with MD Office of the Attorney General and MD Office of the Public Defender on Eliminating Mass Incarceration
You're Invited: Judge AW Center Hosts Fifth Annual Lecture on Education: "Increasing Access, Success and Present Day Challenges for Institutions of Higher Education"
News & Events
“We are all part of the problem”: Judge Williams' Remarks on Mass Incarceration, Community Health, and Accountability
On November 21, 2023, Maryland Matters published an article discussing perspective on Attorney General Anthony Brown and Public Defender Natasha Dartique's Maryland Equitable Justice Collaborative. The collaborative intends to destabilize the weapon of mass incarceration and its harsh impacts on communities of color.
“The parties are pleased that they were able to find a way to resolve this matter outside of Court and will have no further comment about the settlement,” said Crump, who was hired in 2021 by Lacks’ family to explore litigation against biotech co
“He was the voice of the people,” said Alexander Williams Jr., a retired U.S. District Court judge and former county state’s attorney who helped with Monday’s arrangements. “He carried a lot of our issues and concerns to Annapolis, and he interacted with other elected officials to bring back the goods and the bacon here in Prince George’s County.”
The Multi-Million Wage Theft: Maryland Issues $13 Million to Unpaid Workers in Prison Wage Theft Scheme
“While the Department of Labor’s investigation is still ongoing, the one thing we know for certain is that the federal government found that thousands of dedicated, hardworking employees were underpaid for hours of work they performed at the department,” said Gov. Wes Moore (D). “We not only owe them this now overdue back pay, frankly we owe them an apology.”
Items of Interest
- Judge Williams Jr. Center for Education, Justice and Ethics Welcome Video
- Department of African American Studies 2022-2023 Newsletter
- Judge Williams Jr. Efforts Grant Ray Jr. Clemency by Obama: A Drug Dealer Got a Life Sentence and Was Devastated. So Was the Judge Who Sentenced Him.
- Featured on Baltimore Sun: It's Time for Maryland to End Open Judicial Elections
- Chat with a Lawyer: Judge Alexander Williams Jr. on Improving Juvenile Justice and Re-Entry Resources
- Federal Bar Association's Conversation with a Trailblazer Featuring Judge Alexander Williams Jr.
- U.S. District Court of Maryland Highlights Oral History of U.S. District Judge Alexander Williams, Jr.
- Obama Commuted Evans Ray’s Life Sentence; Now Ray Wants to Help Others Like Himself